by Maia Segura
With summer’s official start but a few days away, here’s the first in our series of “top ten” lists of things to do in South Seattle neighborhoods during the year’s hottest season. Rainier Beach kicks us off.
10. Beer Sheva Park!Grab lunch to go from Jude’s Old Town Rainier Beach (7-days a week!), and find a park bench where you can eat and enjoy the spectacular impact on the park from Seattle Public Utilities efforts to restore and daylight Lower Mapes Creek to Lake Washington.
9. Throw a dingy in it! While you’re there, drop a raft in the water and dream big while you float past the Rainier Yacht Club on Spinnaker Bay. Fun fact: Half a century ago, the Rainier Beach Merchants Association hosted “Dingy Baseball” at the Atlantic City Boat Ramp. Any takers for a revival?
8. Dip in for a savory Ethiopian breakfast at Kaffa Cafe & Wine Bar at Rainier & Rose Street, then dive in to the Rainier Beach Community Center Pool to experience thrills on the water slide, or spend a lazy day on the Lazy River!
7. Cheer on the STP! The Seattle to Portland Bike Ride Classic streams through the beach with over 10,000 cyclists on July 11th. Get up early and get jacked on King Donuts with us as we welcome riders from the Rainier Beach Merchants Hydration Station. We will be on Seward Park Ave in front of Rainier Beach High School from 5:30 AM, but you can swing by any time before 9:00 AM. Oh, also get a FREE bike helmet for a kid and decorate your bike in honor of the occasion!
6. Gather up nature’s delicious goodness at the Rainier Beach Urban Farm & Wetlands Farm Stand, currently located at the farm on Saturdays from 10am – 3pm. Be advised that the stand will be moving temporarily once renovations begin in July to the newly relocated Seattle Farm Co-op (former Dressel Collins Fish Bldg.) at 5113 South Director Street right behind Safeway.
4. Have a beer on the sidewalk deck at Nate’s Wings & Waffles, and maybe catch a glimpse of namesake, partner, RBHS grad, & NBA Star Nate Robinson! (PS – Nate’s does brunch on the weekends!)
3. Get stocked up at the Back 2 School Bash! August 8th on the Rainier Beach Community Center Plaza – FREE hot dogs, FREE backpacks full of wondrous things, & a DJ! Brought to you by Rainier Beach Action Coalition.
2. Take a Hike! Work up an appetite on the trail at Dead Horse Canyon, then wander down to Pizzeria Pulcinella for a Neapolitan style wood-fired pizza for lunch.
1. Play the Game! You don’t have to be fastest, the richest, or the best looking to play Giant Chess at the Detective Cookie Chess Club Pop-Up Park on the 52nd Ave side of the Rainier Beach Safeway parking lot. You’ve just gotta wanna have fun and make friends! Made possible by the Rainier Beach Merchants Association, Rainier Beach Safeway, & Seattle Department of Neighborhoods.
Featured image courtesy of Rainier Beach Merchants Association