The South Seattle Emerald’s mission is to amplify the authentic narratives of South Seattle
We do this work because…
The South Seattle community has been neglected and underserved by media
Our vibrant community deserves more accurate representations
Responsible media must consistently employ a racial justice lens
We believe accountable, relationship-based media is better media
What happens in South Seattle matters
Every community should have a conduit to speak truth to power
It’s essential to provide an accessible platform for local voices
Equitable access to relevant information is vital to an engaged democracy
In a community long silenced by mainstream media, The Emerald acts as a powerful megaphone: amplifying the voice and experience of South Seattle.
Founded as a platform that authentically depicts the dynamic voices, culture, arts, ideas, and businesses that fall within South Seattle’s borders, the Emerald is news as it was originally intended to be: not as business, nor as a forum for propaganda, but as a service to the community it chronicles.
In the words of Board Vice President, Bridgette Hempstead: “For the community, by the community, to the community.”
Former Editor-in-Chief Marcus Harrison Green and Board President Devin Chicras discuss the Emerald’s mission with Mike McCormick of KEXP.
Our Comment Policy
We welcome your comments on our articles, as long as they are respectful, relevant and civil in tone. However, in order to maintain this site as a trusted and useful resource, we reserve the right to remove any post that does not comply with our Comment Policy, or simply is not in keeping with our editorial standards for civility. Any commenter who ignores our policies may be banned permanently and without notice.
- Be respectful and civil to others.
- Comments containing profanity, name-calling, or racist epithets (or user names) will be deleted.
- Comments should respond to the topic of the original post. Attempts to derail or dominate a comments thread will get your post deleted.
- Comments may agree or disagree with the content of a post.
- Comments by people deemed to be trolls, sock puppets, or flame warriors by the blog administrators will be deleted.
- Comments that appear on the blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the blog administrators.
- Comments are approved at the discretion of blog administrators (We do our best to approve comments as quickly as possible and thank you for your patience).
Our comment section is provided for readers’ opinions. South Seattle Emerald staff and board do not fact-check the statements posted here, and do not necessarily agree with the opinions. Disclaimer: South Seattle Emerald is not responsible for injury or liability to any reader or commenter resulting from the content posted on the site, or from comments posted by readers, that may be viewed as offensive, misleading, inaccurate, illegal, or otherwise unsuitable.
PO Box 28505
Seattle, WA 98118