Category Archives: Community

Mawadda Café: A Must Chai

By Rosalind Brazel

To understand what it took for Rami Al-Jebori to get his restaurant, Mawadda Café, up and running, you have to think about how many hours a week you work. Forty hours? A few more? Sixty at the very most? Imagine if you had to work fourteen-hour days for seven days a week. Here’s the math on that: 98 hours. Also, consider that this is not work for the weak-hearted. It’s not just working on your feet nearly that entire time but it’s also meeting and greeting your customers with a smile, which takes a different kind of energy. He had no staff, no cashier, no dishwasher. He had just himself to get Mawadda Cafe open and running. He worked this grueling schedule for two years. Makes you exhausted just thinking about it, right? Continue reading Mawadda Café: A Must Chai

New Dojo Brings Uplift and Taekwondo to Skyway

by Max Wasserman

With three decades of martial arts experience under his belt, Maxwell LaRoy knows how to teach taekwondo.

It’s why he opened Victory SEA Taekwondo, a dojo in the Skyway neighborhood, one month ago. He said taekwondo can teach kids empathy, validation, and respect — qualities he hopes to inspire in his students and the community they live in. Continue reading New Dojo Brings Uplift and Taekwondo to Skyway

Music Education is Ageless at Jazz Night School in Columbia City

by Emily Gilbert

In a room full of jazz musicians ranging in age from their 20s to 60s, everyone is looking at one man, Erik Hanson, the leader of Big Band Blue and Executive Director of Jazz Night School.

The school, based out of its new location on Rainier Avenue South in Columbia City since January 2017, welcomes musicians of all ages to learn jazz. Continue reading Music Education is Ageless at Jazz Night School in Columbia City

“Queer Camp” Provides Affirming Space for Youth

by Carolyn Bick

Zae Giri has come out twice. But the first time wasn’t by choice.

“The first time was in seventh grade. … I was at the doctor’s office, and you know on the paperwork, where they have you put down your sexual orientation? I put that down, and made my mom look away, made sure she wasn’t looking, but as soon as I started filling it out, she kind of peeked over my shoulder,” Giri said. “Later on, she confronted me about it in the middle of the lobby. It’s a good thing it was fairly empty, but, like, it was kind of embarrassing.” Continue reading “Queer Camp” Provides Affirming Space for Youth

Cynthia Green Family Center Reopening Brings Health Services to Skyway

by Will Sweger

Perched on the Skyway hillside sits an easily-overlooked former dentist’s office with a disproportionately large impact on the community. The Cynthia A. Green Family Center is officially reopening Saturday after a remodel to bring medical services available to everyone in the community. Continue reading Cynthia Green Family Center Reopening Brings Health Services to Skyway

“Girls Just Want To Have Funds”: Hill City Trivia Night Highlights Gender Wage Discrepancies

by Susan Fried

Tuesday night is normally trivia night at the family-friendly Hill City Tap House, but the April 10 edition provided a bit of a twist as it hosted Feminist Trivia Takeover in honor of Equal Pay Day. Lauren Hipp, co-owner of the Tap House, welcomed people to the “celebration” of Equal Pay Day, a symbolic event dedicated to raising awareness of the Gender Pay Gap. Continue reading “Girls Just Want To Have Funds”: Hill City Trivia Night Highlights Gender Wage Discrepancies

Supporters of Esther “Little Dove” John Rally at Developer’s Office to Denounce Her Displacement

by Will Sweger

Under the shadow of the Aurora Bridge, protesters from South Seattle met Tuesday outside the office of a housing developer. They were hoping to gain an audience with Build Urban LLC., a development company set to construct a new apartment building on Beacon Hill. In the process, the company will tear down the home of Esther “Little Dove” John. Continue reading Supporters of Esther “Little Dove” John Rally at Developer’s Office to Denounce Her Displacement