Category Archives: Community

Mental Health in the Food Industry

by Jake Uitti

Restaurant life is hard. In such a hectic atmosphere, tempers can flare and palliatives can seem necessary. Chefs working over equally hot burners to create any number of dishes in a given night can feel the pressure to succeed moment to moment. But often this same surge for success can require an equally fervent release. And it’s this culinary roller coaster that can be increasingly addictive and potentially dangerous, says longtime Seattle chef Karen Nelson.

Continue reading Mental Health in the Food Industry

Thousands Gather in SeaTac for Nationwide “Families Belong Together” Rally

by Alex Garland

In a show of unity and solidarity Saturday, thousands of demonstrators gathered at the SeaTac Federal Detention Center to protest current immigration policies, the mistreatment of immigrant families, and the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) practice of separating children from their parents.

Continue reading Thousands Gather in SeaTac for Nationwide “Families Belong Together” Rally

News Gleams: Work Party Seeks to Reestablish Martha Washington Park as Community Hub

collected by Emerald Staff

After Tragedy, Group Plans Martha Washington Park Work Party

Martha Washington Park in South East Seattle has been a place of family recreation for many years. This historic and beautiful site was recently the scene of a tragic and violent death that shook our community. Continue reading News Gleams: Work Party Seeks to Reestablish Martha Washington Park as Community Hub

Trap Vinyasa Makes Enlightenment Accessible

by Irene Jagla

“Whose body?!”

“MINE!”

“Whose body?!”

“MINE!”

The Trap Vinyasa™ yoga class bursts into a spontaneous call-and-response led by our instructor, Abiola Akanni, as we flow into a twerking sequence. It’s a chorus that perfectly encapsulates the class’s philosophy. Sweat drips down my forehead and stings my eyes as I attempt to mimic Abiola’s hip undulations while balancing on the balls of my feet. The heavy bass beats of Cardi B pump through the steamy room filled with 16 other happy, but somewhat exhausted, students.   Continue reading Trap Vinyasa Makes Enlightenment Accessible

Friends and Family Gather to Honor One-Year Anniversary of Charleena Lyles’ Death

by Susan Fried (words and photos)

Monday saw hundreds of Family, friends, and community members gather to honor the one-year anniversary of the death of Charleena Lyles at Magnuson Park, just across the street from the apartment complex where the mother of 4 was shot 7 times by 2 Seattle Police officers last June. Continue reading Friends and Family Gather to Honor One-Year Anniversary of Charleena Lyles’ Death