Category Archives: Community

South Seattle Teens Join In Youth Action Day

by Meghan Patiño

Legislative Youth Action Day is founded on the belief that youth expressing their views on state government decisions is a right and necessity in order to make the best laws to govern Washington State. Most adults believe in the power youth have to positively influence their community.   So why don’t we see it happening in all our communities and within all public institutions? Several reasons exist and most of them are logical (I would challenge too logical). Youth Action Day is one attempt to create a world that listens to the voice of young people.   Continue reading South Seattle Teens Join In Youth Action Day

Hillman’s Slow Boat Tavern: A Place for “Beer Nuts”

by Robin Boland

At the behest of the Emerald editor (such a demanding boss) I recently found myself ensconced at the Slow Boat Tavern, a newish addition to the Hillman City business family. It’s a long, narrow space, easily accommodating the surprisingly bustling Friday night crowd in residence. I’d characterize the crowd as more Georgetown than at the Union Bar down the street but that may have been due to the motorcycle helmet sitting on the bar. The only thing missing, in my opinion, is a shuffleboard table although I’m not sure where they’d put it. Continue reading Hillman’s Slow Boat Tavern: A Place for “Beer Nuts”

Graham Street Light Rail Station Moves Closer to Reality

by Ross Armstrong

A light rail station at Graham Street, which was part of the Seattle’s transportation levy passed by voters last fall, is on track to be on the November 2016 ballot as part of the next phase of Sound Transit’s expansion. Continue reading Graham Street Light Rail Station Moves Closer to Reality

More Than a Thousand Brave Rain For Skyway Library’s Grand Opening

by Marcus Harrison Green

Not even a heavy downpour could spoil the mood at the grand opening of Skyway’s new library.

On Saturday morning, more than a thousand Skyway residents braved steady rains to assemble on the corner of 76th and Renton Avenue for the ribbon cutting ceremony of the new 8000 square foot building. Continue reading More Than a Thousand Brave Rain For Skyway Library’s Grand Opening

Community Support Sought for Chess Park

(This is a community service announcement)

The Friends of Detective Cookie Chess Park are seeking community support to for a planning grant to develop an outdoor chess park with 6-10 permanent artist-designed chess tables and multi-functional community space in the SDOT right of way (ROW) at Rainier Ave S., S Barton Place and 51st Ave S. This will be a public play-space/garden to honor the hard work and influence of Detective Denise “Cookie” Bouldin’s decade-old chess club, and its positive impact on community youth.  The planning grant application is due February 1st. Continue reading Community Support Sought for Chess Park