Category Archives: Community

Kanjin Yoga: A Space to Take Your Own Advice

by Robin Boland

Earlier this year I wrote about developing coping mechanisms for 2017 and I’m back to share some of my experiences trying to implement my own advice. While my reading intake and knitting output have both increased my anxiety about the direction we’re headed has not been successfully decreasing. Continue reading Kanjin Yoga: A Space to Take Your Own Advice

Bigger Digs Means Bigger Impact for Beloved Coffeehouse

by DJ Martinez

On Sunday I hit the snooze on my alarm more times than I wanted to. I was up late at Sea-Tac Airport, where I’d seen Luis Rodriguez, maybe 10 hours earlier protesting for the release of two people detained due our new president’s executive orders. Luis co-owns The Station, a community coffeehouse with his wife, Leona Rodriguez, which opened in May of 2010. Continue reading Bigger Digs Means Bigger Impact for Beloved Coffeehouse

Memorializing Ronacin Tjhung: How Systemic Transportation Issues Can Lead to Tragedy

by Kelsey Hamlin

A crowd of somber faces collected at the corner of Othello Station Saturday evening in memory of Ronacin Tjhung a Filipino man struck by a car while riding his bike on Graham Street to his second job. Continue reading Memorializing Ronacin Tjhung: How Systemic Transportation Issues Can Lead to Tragedy

Local Nonprofit Shifts Gears to Adapt to Columbia City’s Evolution

by Agatha Pacheco

For 14 years, Homer O’Neil has had a front row seat as Columbia City has evolved side-by-side with a local nonprofit stalwart.

Bike Works, the community-based bicycle enthusiast group founded in 1996, has offered programs for youth and repair services for decades out of their quaint yellow community bike shop posted on S. Ferdinand Street in Columbia City.

O’Neil now finds himself there most days repairing bicycles. Continue reading Local Nonprofit Shifts Gears to Adapt to Columbia City’s Evolution

Hillman City Residents Organize Womxn’s March Tributary

by  Lisa Hagen Glynn

“This cloud that was hanging over my head [since the November elections] parted when I saw that crowd. And then the sun literally came out, and the eagles were flying all over the sky. Wow,” said Tamiko Nietering, organizer of the Womxn’s March on Hillman City. Continue reading Hillman City Residents Organize Womxn’s March Tributary

Rainier Beach Dances to the “Love” Beat

by Cliff Cawthon

On Friday, South Seattle residents danced together at the Rainier Beach Community Center (RBCC) in a showcase of community solidarity during a flash mob for “love and diversity.”

For many of the 250 attendees, dancing with their fellow neighbors was a way of nourishing hope and positivity on a morning several expressed disappointment with the stated policies of the president sworn into office only hours before.
Continue reading Rainier Beach Dances to the “Love” Beat

Social Worker Turns Birthday Party Into Battle for Dodge Ball Supremacy

by Marcus Harrison Green

Mahogany Villars’ plans for her 30th birthday are about as orthodox as they come. This Saturday’s festivities include longtime friends, adoring family, and booming dance music.  Oh, and there’s also that whole spending several hours darting feverishly around a gymnasium while avoiding an onslaught of 6 pound rubber balls targeting her head thing. Continue reading Social Worker Turns Birthday Party Into Battle for Dodge Ball Supremacy

How Should King’s Legacy Be Lived Today?

In honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day we asked several community members to answer the question, “How can Dr. King’s legacy be lived today?” Their responses follow. Continue reading How Should King’s Legacy Be Lived Today?